Thursday, February 28, 2008

Emotions

I thought I was a pretty emotionally stable guy. Not too many highs and not too many lows. Someone you could call steady. That's until I started taking pictures of myself throughout my daily life. Here's a snapshot of a day.


This first picture is of me in the morning. As can be seen I'm eager and ready to tackle the day. I would call this an emotional high.

If the last picture was an emotional high I would call this an obscene emotional high. The day has just begun I'm stoked and ready to mold the minds of the little ones.

This is me realizing that my computer is acting up. I'm thinking though that I can figure it out. No big deal. It's just a little internet problem. It'll hook up pretty soon. I'm emotionally level. Neither high nor low but focused on the task at hand.

Here is where it starts to get ugly. I don't know what's wrong with my internet connection. I start blaming Circuit City, and Microsoft, and the chord to my computer. I am in an emotional depression.


This is an emotional rock bottom. I am disgusted. How am I supposed to make it an evening without internet! I mean I have e-mails and sports and videos that can't be ignored. At this point I began muttering unintelligible words. My own language of curse words never before spoken by humans. Gibberish to you, but to me the venom spewed as I sit in my pit of despair.

These pictures are me calling on a greater source of power to help me. I am in an emotionally humbled state.

This is me when my internet works. I have now reached emotional euphoria. This is such an extreme high that I'm pretty sure there is adrenaline involved. This stage is also generally marked by a vocal exclamation of some sort. Perhaps a loud "Yes" or "Awesome" or even "Woo Hoo." In this stage one may find oneself making these exclamation no matter their surroundings.

This is just me taking a meal break. I love to cook. I'm emotionally content and about ready to go back to my computer for some more internet access.

This is me after coming back from the meal. The internet isn't working again. I am in the most severe emotional zone. This zone is called emotional explosion. At this stage I consider throwing my computer out the window or drop-kicking it across the room. It's best that I'm by myself during this stage otherwise someone could get hurt.


This is me after I jiggle the chord and the internet begins to work again. I am emotionally euphoric. This is the stage where one wavers between laughing and crying.

This is a slight exaggeration of how much my emotions differ through the day, but in some ways its not to far from the truth. Isn't it amazing how such simple things can cause such great raw emotion. A car cutting us off, slow service at a restaurant, a snubb by an acquaintance, poor internet connections. Small things that we perceive to be huge slights and inconveniences. Things that in reality are just not that big a deal.

It's humbling to thing that an internet problem can be the reason for such great mood swings. It's embarrassing when I think about it but also challenging.

By the way I'm great here in Korea. Thanks for your prayers.

1 comment:

David and Zoe said...

You're weird. And you're missed.